Tuesday, September 14, 2010

They are really growing up

We spent some time out on the porch coloring on the easel today.  I read the kids Blueberry Girl, by Neil Gaiman, so I had them draw blueberries.  Eliza said, "We need to share the blue crayon CJ."  CJ said, "I will help you draw your circles if you want Eliza."  They stood there, and colored and shared and helped each other.  I was so proud.  This weekend they both moved out of cribs and into toddler beds, and I was very emotional.  They are no longer babies at all, and I am so proud of them.

We read about all types of animals, and sorted animals we know into categories.  They are able to tell me the characteristics of mammals, marsupials, birds, fish and amphibians.  We are working on reptiles.  We looked through books and found animals and decided which category to put them in.  The kids loved this activity, and they did very well.  I made them some number cards, that they played a matching game with.  We practiced counting around the house.  Most importantly though, CJ read two pages of a book, he has never read before.  He sounded out most of the words, needed some assistance on some, but HE READ IT HIMSELF!  We made words with letter blocks and read those too.  It was one of the most amazing things ever!

CJ and Eliza have a new favorite TV show.  The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That.  It is on PBS, and works with rhyming, and really gives so much information.  They have learned about insects and other animals, about weather, and about properties of water, among many other things.  They love the music and the sing song sound of the show, and I enjoy watching it as well.  Yesterday they learned about silk moths.  Today we were supposed to go to Old Sturbridge Village, but there was a problem with Rich getting the day off, so we are putting it off till next year.  So today we are going to spend some time talking about history, and read some books that show how life was a long time ago.  I actually have a great book they like to hear about this gigantic cheddar that was made in Massachusetts in the 1800's and transported to the White House as a gift for the President.  It has a lot of wonderful historical information, and I love the book.  Plus the kids love cheese.  I think we will eat some cheese in our chairs while we read it.  Thanks for tuning in!

2 comments:

  1. Needless to say I have all the episodes of the Cat in the Hat from this week on my DVR for the kids to watch over the weekend when they are both here...Andy can draw the Cat in the Hat extremely well!

    ReplyDelete