Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Hansen Farm

So the kids have finally calmed down their temper tantrums.  Tomorrow we have dental appointments, Eliza's first cleaning, CJ's second.  Starting Monday we will have a whole new daily schedule.  I need to do this for my own sanity.  I will not be strict about it, but I need to make time for certain things in my day, namely exercise.  I also need the kids to know that they will be expected to do activities of my choosing at certain times.  It needs to be an expected part of our lives.  The kids loved knowing what to expect with our letter days, and I think they miss that.  I know I do.  During nap time today I spent quite some time planning "lessons" for the next couple of weeks.  I figured out what I want to do each day, and built myself a sort of schedule so that I know I can do all that I need to.  I think this will help me be more organized and consistent with the kids learning.  I want it to be so integrated into our day that education is second nature to us all. 

So we spent some time outside today, and I took some wonderful pictures, that I thought you might like to see.



They were pretending to be farmers today, and then Eliza decided she would be an explorer in the beautiful jungle garden.  CJ then became an entomologist, so he could study all the amazing insects in the yard.  His words, not mine!  One of our projects next week is to use insect stamps or stickers to make a number book.  One monarch butterfly, two bumble bees, etc.  I think they will love it!  Plus it will lead into so much about insect attributes and life cycles.  Metamorphosis is already a word they are familiar with, so we will be able to study it in action in the yard.  Woo hoo science! 

We counted all the different types of vegetables today and discussed what we can still do in the garden now that summer is over.  We talked about how we need to plan for our garden next year.  Eliza requested that we grow purple string beans, as that is one of her favorite veggies at the farmers' markets.  CJ's request is more red beets and orange carrots! 

Tomorrow, they have planned our entire dinner.  Chicken tenders, mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots and broccoli, with homemade pudding for dessert.  We talked about menu planning, and making a grocery list after you plan your menu.  These life skills are so important and often not taught to children anymore. 

Thank you for reading this tangle of thoughts today, tune in next week for a more cohesive and informative read.  For now, just enjoy some pretty pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment