Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Dichotomy of the Toddler

The past few days have pretty much been one long power struggle.  They decide they won't eat, so I decide they stay in their chairs until they eat.  I say it is time to clean up, and they decide it is time to dump out all the toys.  Eliza now thinks that saying I don't feel good is a magic phrase that means she doesn't have to listen.  CJ thinks that he gets to eat only what he wants to, whenever he wants to.  It is difficult because I don't want them to feel unloved and I don't want to destroy their creativity or independence, but they WILL listen, and they WILL do what they are told.  They need this to be safe, they need this for me to be able to teach them effectively, and they need this so I don't throw them out the door.  It is lucky for them that they made it through the day alive today.  We read, and they decide they are done with that book.  I tell them to show me a letter, and they say they will show me a letter they choose.  AAAUUURGGH!  Long frakking day!  Actually week, it has been almost a week of this.  I shouldn't complain, because they are so sweet and smart and generally well behaved, but I guess that is why this is so difficult, because they are usually such good listeners.  I just don't want my kids to be brats, I love them too much for that. 

We are having another playdate this week, which we are really looking forward to.  In fact I asked the kids today if they would like to have a special snack or meal that day, and Eliza wants cheese and crackers.  I told her we had no crackers, so she said, that's ok Mommy, we can make some.  So we are.  Just call me a glutton for punishment.  Having a two and three year old help me make wheat thins is not an easy task.  But well worth it I think.  We are making some whole grain newton cookies tomorrow.  I love baking with the kids, since we talk about so many things while we do it.  We discuss numbers and science and nutrition.  We talk about temperature and measuring, and why we do things a certain way.  They ask great questions, and they LOVE to help out.  Today they helped me clean the deck, and we talked about why the weather is changing.  We talked about autumn and what happens in autumn, Halloween and Thanksgiving.  We talked about deciduous trees again, and we talked about what needs to be done in the garden and why.  I really integrate education into every aspect of our day, whether I intend to or not, just by the way I talk to them, question them, and inform them of things.  This would be a great system if they didn't totally ignore me some days.  I am exaggerating, they don't ignore me so much as try to steer the conversation to what they want.  Normal, I know.  They go from being maniac monsters to being so sweet with each other.  CJ started crying because he couldn't have what he wanted, so Eliza brought him his favorite toy, gave him a hug, and said it is ok, I love you big brother.  Seriously.  CJ always wants to share things with Eliza (unless she actually wants the toy he is playing with) and they always give hugs and kisses to each other.  But then it will take an hour of screaming and fussing and stress before they eat a meal they always love.  They certainly have extremes.  We get through the day with a lot of patience, some threatening when the day has gotten too long, and lots of laughter when possible.  I am honest with them.  If I get too angry I tell them.  They need to leave me alone for a bit to calm down.  They know when to stay out of my face.  Then they will run up, give me a fierce hug and say I just love you so much Mommy.  Does it get any better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment