Friday, September 10, 2010

Math Mayhem

So walking in the store today CJ said he wanted to count from 20, so Rich said 20, CJ said 19, Rich said 18, CJ said 17 and so on.  Then CJ did it on his own!  He is also very quick to correct Rich or I when we say the wrong number.  He also is counting to 100, and Eliza is counting to 50 with no assistance.  I also think it is amazing when they don't even have to count to know how many of something there is.  They recognize when there is 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 of something without having to stop to count.  They also recognize squares, rectangles, rhombuses, all types of triangles, circles, ovals, pentagons, hexagons, octagons, cubes, rectangular prisms and pyramids.  They have started making number posters, and love it!  My kids are math geniuses, but I might be a little biased!

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted to homeschool, but never had the patience. Thank you for the comment on my blog.. i did reply, but in case you didn't get it, you were right, they are flecks of vanilla, i use a vanilla paste ( i wtote gel on the blog, oops!) I swear by the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you're biased...pretty sure that as parents we're SUPPOSED to be biased ;-) Those self-fulfilling prophecys are wonderful things in the sense that the more we believe our kids are wonderful and special and smart and treat them that way, the more they prove us right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how that works? That is why I always try to have high expectations, and to communicate them clearly to the kids. So important. They almost always behave extremely well, because I expect them too, and because I make sure they are proud of themselves when they are. They are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim- Thanks for answering my question. I have read about that vanilla paste in several blogs and I am going to have to get some to try, since vanilla is one of my favorite flavors. As far as homeschooling goes, I find my patience is much better with my own kids, who behave the way I have taught them, than it was with a room of 24 kids with kids who didn't speak English, were never taught manners, who don't want to learn, etc. I love teaching, but teaching two of my own is far easier and less stressful than the huge classes in the public school. But I am super lucky, and I do hope to get back to education in the form of tutoring or other small group setting. Thanks for tuning in.

    ReplyDelete