Sunday, September 19, 2010

Terrifying Tantrums

So I was far too exhausted Friday to even attempt to update this blog.  We went to playgroup at Wequonnoc, and the kids had a great time.  I was able to talk to some other moms and discuss some ideas for potty training and field trips.  All was going well, though Eliza kept mooching snacks off of every adult who would pour her juice and get her a graham cracker.  When it became time to clean up and get ready to go, we had some difficulty getting both of them to help.  CJ was asked if he would like to help, and he said, "I would like to, but no I can't."  As everyone was laughing I explained to him that it was ok to help before he finished his snack.  So he helped clean up, and then Eliza began a temper tantrum.  As I was trying to deal with that, CJ finished cleaning up, and went to fix himself a snack, pouring Goldfish crackers all over the table.  He doesn't do this at home!  I was so embarrassed, and it took forever to get both of them ready to go.  I literally had to wrap my hand tightly around Eliza's bicep and carry/drag her the 1/2 mile home, since we walk to playgroup.  She continued with this full out screaming temper tantrum for another 20 minutes at home.  She kept trying to throw herself on the ground crying while we were walking home, and I was getting a little freaked out.  By the time they woke up from their nap, which was way too short, and both of them were still exhausted, the only education we accomplished was discussing ancient Chinese culture while I held Eliza and we all watched Mulan.  Saturday CJ had a total meltdown temper tantrum during dinner at my parents' house.  By today, we just were all exhausted, and the kids are finally getting the lesson of do what we ask when we ask because we always have a good reason.  We spent the day working in the garden, and cooking, and playing some video games.  We have also made a new rule, no food or drink anywhere but the kitchen or dining room, and only at the table, unless we are having a floor picnic.  I have spent the week trying to get the house a little cleaner and more organized, and we need to keep it that way.  I just keep reminding myself that the kids are only two and only three, and any amount of educational activity we do is more than they would be getting at daycare.  They are younger than most preschool students and they know so much.  I will not beat myself up for not making every day lesson filled.  I will do what I can when I can, and I will have happy, healthy children who know how to help in the house, and how to amuse themselves.  And they will make mistakes, and we will have bad days, but our house will be full of love and laughter.  We will take care of each other, and be good examples for each other.  We will try and make the world a better place and learn from our mistakes.  We will sing and read and write and play and bake and cook and garden.  We will do all these things together, and become a stronger family.  And Mommy will not freak out when the kids have the inevitable temper tantrums.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for keeping your cool! Temper tantrums are inevitable, but they happen much less frequently over time when the parents keep calm.

    ReplyDelete