Monday, January 10, 2011

Back to a "Normal" Schedule

Almost all of my resolutions are going swimmingly.  My house is less cluttered, and so my mind is less cluttered.  I feel less stressed, and everyone is eating better.  Today was our first day in a while where we were on what would be considered a normal schedule.  We started a new letter, number, color, shape, animal and theme.  G, 7, blue, hexagon, gorilla and nutrition.  I actually accomplished all of my lesson plans, and we played outside in the snow for almost 45 minutes!  Having everything organized and prepared is helping me stay on track and feel like I have accomplished a lot, with very little stress. 

We do the calendar and weather daily, as well as sing the alphabet and the letter sound song.  We added words to our letter poster, and made a number 7 poster and a blue poster.  We looked at the food pyramid for preschoolers (mypyramid.gov) and colored a black and white version.  I held the crayons, and for each food group they had to tell me a food that belonged before they could have the correct color crayon.  They loved it, thinking it was a game.  We learned about gorillas and their habitats, and traced and colored hexagons.  We read The Goose and the Golden Eggs, an Aesop's Fable that the kids enjoyed.  We even played Eric Carle's ABC game, though we didn't finish it.  It takes too long, and the kiddos were getting close to needing a nap.  Everyone ate a good breakfast and lunch, and helped clean up every toy they played with. 

Tonight we played a new Wii game, Go Diego Go Dinosaur Rescue as part of our nighttime routine, and Daddy is reading them "The Day I Swapped my Dad for Two Goldfish" by Neil Gaiman (one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE authors of all time!!!) and they seem to be enjoying it.  They loved "Wolves in the Wall" by the same author.  If you have never read it to your kids, I highly recommend borrowing it from the library, it is so much fun to read. 

My day started before 6 today, when CJ woke up with a diaper problem.  Fixed that, then went downstairs and weighed myself and exercised, cleaned up, brushed my teeth, unloaded the dishwasher, and made coffee all before Mason got here.  I am feeling so much better that I am sticking to my resolutions. 

My plans for the week include an online story, Yellow Gorilla, from storyplace.org, with a craft (Gorilla on a stick) for Wednesday.  We are using the starfall.com site, storylineonline.net, and higlightskids.com.  Rich put a PC connected to our TV and I have a wireless mouse and keyboard so anything I do shows up on the large screen, and the kids don't have to crowd around my laptop!  We are going to playgroup again Friday, provided there is no snow delay or cancellation, and we are making Granola for our G week recipe.  CJ and Eliza are excited about this since it means they get to pull out things from their cooking cabinet.  We have a food groups game I made, and we will be playing with the Melissa and Doug wooden food toys, including a food groups set.  I also have some books printed from readinga-z.com, and songs from KIDiddles.com.  I love some of the amazing resources available.  I am excited about all the activities I planned for the week, and I think that helps keep the kids interested.

My goal for next week is to get to the library, so we can choose some new books to go with our lessons.  I also want to be sure to read more books to the kids, and watch less TV.  We have been listening to Here Come the ABC's along with Here Comes Science, and now CJ wants us to get Here Come the 123's.  They adore They Might Be Giants.  If anyone has any suggestions for other educational yet fun music, please let me know.  I much prefer that to many of the "educational" preschool shows.  Thanks for tuning in for yet another installation, here's to a safe journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment