Friday, November 19, 2010

What a Week

Some days I feel really good at the end of the day, like I know I did everything I could to be the best mom I can.  Then there are days like this, where I see all my failings staring me in the face.  I yell too much at my kids, especially in the evenings when we are all tired.  I let them watch too much tv.  I let them eat too much junk food.  Today they all ate the entire batch of elephant ears we made for E week.  I know that they eat less junk food and watch far less tv than most children their age, but I still can't help but worry.  And dear readers, the whining.  I just want to shake them till they stop whining.  I can't stand it!  The funny thing is, that all three kids were great today, but I still felt quite frustrated at times.  At least they never seem to know when I am.  I am pretty good at holding it together, and staying patient with them during the day.  I think it is just the end of the day, with the list of things I didn't do growing longer, that I just become really frustrated.  I am really exhausted today and that doesn't help. 

Anyway, I did some letter sound assessment today, and all the kids are doing well.  They are great at identifying shapes and colors.  They recognize numbers and count really well.  Some days though, they just won't follow any directions.  This is when I tell myself, they are only two and three.  They are amazing, but I expect too much of them, and too much of myself, and I blame myself when anything is wrong.  Or when they don't understand something (even if it is beyond them).  I just have to keep telling myself how important what we are doing is, and how special they are.  They all seem to really enjoy our "school" and I know they are learning a lot.  I need to not push myself so much to be everything, and to make every moment educational.  We all need to relax and have fun too.  Yesterday we spent two hours outside, and it was great.  We have read lots of books this week, and did so many projects.  We made a book about the seasons, made elephant crafts, and did our cooking project, some yummy elephant ears.  I even managed to get almost the whole house totally cleaned and organized this week, barring the basement of course.  Next week I am looking forward to doing some more review and assessment, and talking all about Thanksgiving.  It will be a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment