Monday, November 8, 2010

Snow Day

Last week I got really organized, and set up some "centers" for the kids.  One is a matching center, with three different matching activities that the kids can do on their own.  I have a center that is shape sorting, and another that is science sensory.  It has seeds, leaves, rocks, small pumpkins, and other items.  They have to describe the item and tell me what they know about it.  Today and the rest of the week are all about reviewing what we have already done and getting back into the swing of the "school" time mentality.  Mason is still coughing but they all seem to feel a lot better.  They did well getting back into our schedule, considering there was a SNOW DELAY!  I got up and dressed and came downstairs, opened the mini blinds and did a double take.  The whole yard was covered in snow!  I was planning on taking the kid outside to play for awhile today.  Since not only was it snow, freezing rain, and clouds, it was also ridiculously windy, we stayed inside.  We did the art "center" and reviewed our letters and numbers.  Tomorrow we will review all the animals we have done, and do a craft project we never got to.  Wednesday I am going to work one on one with each of them doing assessment of what we have done.  Thursday is a holiday, and my birthday, so Mason is at home.  Friday we go to playgroup, and will do a cooking project.  For next week, I have myself really organized, and have my copying and printing done for the next two weeks.  Now that everyone is feeling better, it should be easier to keep organized and on track.  Even when sick though, the kids are still learning.  A couple weeks ago we went to a flea market.  While Rich and a friend of ours were looking at things I didn't care about, I brought the kids over to the swings.  We counted to 100 several times.  We took turns with numbers, and we learned about even and odd.  Every day, we quiz the kids on which numbers are even and which are odd.  Whenever we see an animal on tv, we talk about what animal type it is, and how we know.  It is all about talking and activating prior knowledge, which CJ and Eliza do without our prompting.  They make associations, and recognize things from all parts of their world.  It is awesome to see.  They amaze me every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment