Monday, August 30, 2010

U for Unbelievable

So today was unbearably hot, unbelievably tiring, and the kids still feel ucky.  I started again today with my weight watchers.  I paid attention to what I ate and started exercising again this morning.  Pretty tiring.  Tonight's entry will be short I think.

CJ was excited when he realized underpants starts with U.  He loves wearing big boy underpants.  Eliza was thrilled when she realized that her favorite Backyardigan's character Uniqua's name begins with U.  CJ met his goal of counting to 100 this weekend.  He also counts by 10 up to 100.  Eliza is now counting backwards from 10, because I do it all the time when the microwave is counting down.  We counted things all around the house today.  I even showed them counting by two.  They thought that was pretty cool.

So we had to do some grocery shopping yesterday, and went to the orchard market to get some apples and peaches.  Tomorrow I am canning homemade fruit cocktail flavored with pineapple sage and mint.  While there we saw some farm grown carrots.  CJ walked over to them and asked, "Have you ever seen anything like that in your life, those carrots are unbelievable!"  They were the size of my arm!  If you could have heard him, with his little stuffy nose.  Hilarious!  Eliza was disappointed that she wasn't allowed to take bites out of the apples and tomatoes. 

So we went outside and looked at things upside down, and described them.  It was so amazing to hear their observations.  They played geologist in the sandbox.  They used their empty watering cans to "water" all the seeds they planted last week.  Eliza told me, when I asked her what she was doing, "I am watering the seeds Mommy.  You know they can't grow without water and sun, and I want to eat the food we planted."  You could just hear the tone of voice, it sounded like duh, you should know that Mommy.  Unbelievable.

We ate upside down muffins for breakfast, unagi udon soup for lunch, and ultimate corndog casserole for dinner, as I was running out of easy U ideas.  Everyone was so tired today.  We spent a lot of time reading together, and making the U sound all day.  We sang all the bug songs from their cd, and ran around the house dancing.  All great fun stuff that encourages their physical and mental development whether or not they are considered lessons.  They absorb so much from everything they see and hear.  I spent some time looking at the Walktober activities that will be offered this year.  The kids are finally at an age that they can do the walks themselves without strollers.  There are some super activities this year at an alpaca farm, a turkey farm, and observation walks designed for kids ages 3 to 6.  There is even a trip to our local buffalo farm with free chili!  Daddy will love that one! 

Pretty soon it is time to go upstairs and relax.  Long long day has been unreal.  My brain is working so hard to find U words, and the only one I can think of is ukelele!  That doesn't really help right now.  Good night gentle readers, and thank you for spending your time here with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment