Wednesday, August 18, 2010

L is for Love and Laughter

August 17, 2010

First off, I was unable to update last night because I have messed up my wrist somehow, and was in too much pain to type.  I have a brace today, and it seems to be helping.  Moving on . . .

L day was interesting.  Rich took the day off, so I could have a little time to myself.  He also had to fix my grandmother's dryer.  So he did that early, while I got the kids up and worked on our letter routine.  CJ loved that L is an easy letter to write in the carpet.  We worked on drawing small straight lines with out new fat pencils and grippies.  CJ did great with letting me help him, and he seems to be improving on holding it.  He drew a few lines himself and I could see an obvious improvement.  While Eliza does a great job coloring, she does not really want to draw small straight lines, though she in improving with following directions.  She is doing well with recognizing lower case letters up to e, but a bit of difficulty recognizing others.  She knows every capital letter, and most of the letter sounds, so we are going to be playing a matching game with the lower case letters today. 

When we made our letter poster Eliza told me her favorite L word is love, because I love you lots Mommy.  I almost cried.  CJ said I also like the word laughter, because that means we are having fun together.  They were so sweet yesterday.  We used some Brain Quest cards for 3-4 year olds, and the kids did so well.  The only one they had difficulty with was a question that asked what two things in the picture go together.  There was an addressed envelope, scissors, a stamp and a paintbrush.  I know that the stamp goes with the envelope, but they thought the scissors went with the paper.  So we talked about how the mail works.  I showed them a letter I needed to mail, and let them put the stamp on, so they were excited. 

We reviewed what we know about marsupials and mammals today, and they surprise me constantly with how much they remember.  A good part of the day I spent doing stuff alone, while Rich took care of the kids and meals.  He made us yummy lemon pancakes with blueberries, and cottage cheese with fruit.  For lunch he cooked some lobster ravioli we had in the freezer, with some lettuce salad.  We made lemon bars for dessert, and we made Indian spiced Lamb meatballs with Indian rice with Lentils for dinner.  Absolutely lovely meal. 

Because Rich was home all day and I spent some time alone things were just a little strange.  We had such a good time when we were all together, the kids spent so much time laughing and giggling.  You can see how much we all love each other, and it makes for a very happy day.  L day was fulll of learning, but few actual lessons.  Unfortunately I messed up my wrist and have been wearing a brace, and it hurts a lot.  So I am going to leave to start M day muffins.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment