Thursday, August 5, 2010

B is for Blogging

August 3, 2010


So we started the day the same as yesterday, establishing this new routine.  We found the letter B on the alphabet quilt, and drew the letter B in the carpet.  I think the most important part of starting this homeschooling journey is to make it part of our daily routine, and to keep the kiddos excited about it.  To do that today we kept singing the letter song, and the alphabet, and we kept reviewing what we discussed the previous day.

When I tried having them write in the shaving cream, CJ told me he was freaking out and he started to get extremely mad.  He really REALLY hates the shaving cream apparently.  Well no shaving cream for the rest of the week.  I think Thursday we will try using the bath crayons to write letters in the tub.  I am trying to integrate the letters and numbers into each and every part of our day.  For breakfast we had bread, butter and blueberries.  After breakfast we read jack and the Beanstalk, and Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  The kids yelled B every time I read a B word.  They loved this!  They then found the letter B in several of their own board books.  They told me that book was their favorite B word.

After reading time we went to the garden to identify some B foods we could have for dinner.  They helped me pick beets, broccoli and beans.  We picked some Bok Choy (CJ's favorite veggie) to make some soup for lunch.  CJ loves all veggies, but Eliza isn't as huge a veggie eater.  She will however eat ANY vegetable if I make a pureed soup.  So we had Bok Choy, ginger and garlic soup.  They declared it the Best lunch ever!

After their nap we started talking about animals that began with B.  We talked about bears, birds and bugs.  I pulled out their animal flashcards, and we talked about what is the same and different with the animals we saw.  We especially talked about what makes a mammal a mammal.  They like that we share traits with other mammals like alpacas, since that is their favorite animal.  We used a magnetic habitat board someone gave them for Christmas.  They were able to choose which animals matched to each habitat.  One was the ocean, another the farm, and the last was grasslands.  They were excited to see the barn because it was yet another B word. 

They even asked me which animals were carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.  I kid you not, these are the words they used.  They asked if any of the animals on their board were nocturnal.  They were able to tell me that Logan, our cat, is nocturnal, as is the skunk that lives nearby.  They told me that nocturnal means asleep during the day and awake at night.  They scare me sometimes with how smart they are. 

What I really liked about B day is that B is a simple letter, with really only the one sound.  So much easier than the vowels, or tomorrow's letter C.  Yikes! 

6 comments:

  1. Just a thought, and I know it's MISERABLY hot out, but you could probably find an indoor method, but I think incorporating a physical activity could be fun too. I don't know how yours are (though they sound angelic behavior-wise LOL!) but mine just tend to need to run around like monkeys for awhile. I'm not homeschooling per se, but I'm EXTREMELY dedicated to enriching what they do learn at home, and this includes making sure they don't brain dump everything they learn during the year over the summer. Ha! Until I can convince the government that year round schooling is amazing. I digress. ;-) Anyway, so particularly since they're little, it could even be an activity that isn't necessarily a "sport", but just something to get them moving. And make it international! C could be cricket, for example. H could be hopscotch. Which includes the fun of sidewalk chalk. ;-) Oh! Which I wanted to mention as a potential for practicing the letters too. Mine LOVE sidewalk chalk.

    My comments are sooooo long. Haha! But also since your home is your classroom for the most part, there is chalkboard paint on the market, which I'm going to be getting here shortly. Also, there is a product you can add to your regular paint that makes it magnetic. I'm going to do the upper portion of their room with the magnetic paint so I can easily display their artwork, etc, and the lower half with the chalkboard paint so we can work on lessons. I have 9 foot ceilings though, so you may want to (if you even want to use it) do like one wall with chalkboard and then a different one with magnetic.

    I'm seriously torn right now about whether to leave my kids in school or not, but we live in a more rural area in PA so there's not the overcrowding issues, etc. Actually Reilly's kindergarten is in its own building. So I'm going to give it a couple years and see if it's still okay. I mean, the younger years I can easily supplement the education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,

    Sounds like you're off to a great start in your homeschooling journey. Your kiddos are very lucky & blessed to have such a hands on & energetic Mom. When mine were that little I had a hard time just getting through the day and our start in homeschooling was much more touch & go. I look forward to following along in your journey!

    D...after 6 coats of magnetic paint, and barely being able to get a VERY light magnet to stick to it, I have to say I'd suggest a bulletin board strip instead maybe? The magnetic paint (this is just what you can buy from Home Depot, btw), did not work for me the way I had hoped it would. The Chalkboard paint, on the other hand, is fabulous. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had read that too Maggie! That the paint they sell doesn't work for beans. What I found online was an additive you mix into regular paint (although I only found it online, I don't think it's in stores yet. I'm going to have to sort through my bookmarks to try and find it. Wish me luck with THAT. ;) )

    But the reviews of that product were all great. Well, its effectiveness reviews were great. I guess some people struggled with the mixing and application, and you have to seal it too because the metal particles can start to rust if you live in a damp environment. So, it's a little work, but I don't think (read:HOPE) that it is insurmountable. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you find a link, I'd like to look at it. At this point I've given up and decided to let them use tape & thumbtacks. Bear has several solar systems taped to his wall right now...the way he likes to "decorate" the whole room would have to be done with magnetic paint and I just don't see that happening! ;-) I can think of a few smaller areas that I might use it on though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of the chalkboard paint! We have a red room for the kids, their playroom. The walls are red and there are tons of bookshelves at the ceiling level. They have a table in there for their coloring and reading, and that is where I have been putting up their letter posters. Turning one wall into a chalkboard would be great. I actually already have a magnet board that I was given by a retiring teacher, so I think I will avoid the magnetic paint. Love the idea of working activity into our day. We always dance during the day, and go outside to play in the sandbox and on the slide, but I love the idea of hopscotch. We actually found at a kids' consignment store foam blocks that makes a hopscotch board. It has Backyardigans on it. We don't have a driveway or any area safe for sidewalk chalk. Even on really yucky days we go on the front porch and play follow the leader or whatever comes to mind. I bring the easel out there so they can color, and get some air.

    On another note, please don't worry about the long posts, love the interaction and info. We struggled for months trying to decide if this was the right decision, and it is nice to have our choice validated. I am more sure every day that homeschooling is the right option for us.

    So next home improvement project: giant chalkboard on a red room wall! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, here's the link to the stuff I was looking at. Also, he mentions that the best magnets to use are the rare earth or some other kind, and he sells rare earth magnets that have some special cap on them to prevent them from snapping together and hurting small fingers.

    http://www.lyt.com/servlet/StoreFront

    Here's the discussion board I was reading up on too, and Lish they mention different chalkboard paints and from what I've read the rustoleum brand appears to have the best ability to clean up. Some others leave streaks I guess.

    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/good-questions/good-questions-does-magnetic-paint-work-016118

    ReplyDelete