Friday, August 27, 2010

T is for Tired

Today was terribly tiring.  I got a lot accomplished.  I canned pickled cherry tomatoes, pickled dilled green beans and kohlrabi pickles.  I cleaned the kitchen.  We worked on writing.  We talked about tons of T words.  We made zucchini bread and tropical treat bread.  We even organized toys.  Tough considering the kids still feel crappy.  Totally successful day.

The kids slept late since they are still pretty sick.  Then we had toasted tomato and cheese sandwiches, with tomatoes on the side for brunch.  For dinner we had tomatoes on salad, roasted tomatoes and tomatillos, and tasty Tuscan chicken.  The kids kept saying everything was terrific and tasty. 

Today they played with all their wooden toys and puzzles.  CJ has a tool box and decided to run around with the screwdriver.  He said he was pretending to be a man who uses a screwdriver to fix everything, someone who rides in a TARDIS.  Oh yeah Mommy, I am Dr. Who.  Totally rocked!  So we talked about television and tools, and toys, and what is real and what isn't.  Eliza already explains to me that her friend Dahlia (little pink dolly) isn't real, but is still her friend.  She is pretend Mommy.  So we talked about all types of things in the house being real or not.  They really amaze me. 

I am looking forward to the zoo after Z day.  I am prepping the kids for it, telling them that they are going to need to look for animals for each letter.  They are getting excited to see giraffes and elephants.  Eliza is especially looking forward to the Polar bears.  We read lots of T words in our books.  That was the extent of explicit teaching today, and I am okay with that.  The kids were remarkably happy today considering their noses won't stop running, and they keep coughing and sneezing.  Today was a time for snuggling and reading books, and working in the kitchen together. 

Tomorrow Rich is working so we will be spending some time with Memere and Pepere, perhaps going to see the turkeys at Ekonk Hill.  Assuming of course, that the kids are better by then.  Eliza was really pale today, and needs to spend some time outside.  We played for a while in the yard today, but they need to get out of the house.  Being sick and stuck inside pretty much sucks.  We need a field trip.  Seeing the farm animals should be fun, and the kids will love it.  And it means turkey pot pie for dinner.  Yummo!  Tonight I am too tired to do much more writing, but thank you for reading and have a terrific weekend!

3 comments:

  1. p.s.when you can things, do you go about it the old fashioned boiling the jars and sealing the lids? i actually don't know if there is another way to sterilize things, but just curious. My mother used to do it all the time and i remember it being a whole lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi. i didn't see my other comment post regarding the omitting of the sugar. if if somehow did not make it to your comment section, thanks sooo much again for bringing that to my attention, and how much did you end up using? i used 3/4 of a cup (because the coconut is pretty sweet to begin with.) i think when i make it again, i will add more lime peel because i thought it would show up in the bread and look attractive, but it didn't, and i might cut back a hair on the baking soda. i'll let you know.. plus, a few friends on facebook are coaxing me to turn this into a cupcake recipe. i think i might!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For canning, I usually just run the jars through the dishwasher and keep them warm. Or boil them for about 10 minutes with the screw tops. The caps I just dip in the boiling water. That is usually doing it's thing while I am preparing whatever goes in the cans. It is pretty easy but a little time consuming. Ball came out with this thing this year that goes in a large stockpot so you can can things without the large canner. It does three jars which is what each recipe made yesterday. It took me a few hours but I have 9 jars of yummy pickled stuff. When I made the bread I used 1/2 cup because I usually like to give the kids things that aren't too sweet. I also subbed half white whole wheat flour, and it was really good. I would love to see any changes you make! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete