Monday, August 16, 2010

K is for Kryptonite

Today did not start out well.  First of all Eliza has the diaper rash from h e double hockey sticks, and she is teething, large teeth in back.  When I was taking CJ's diaper off this morning he got so excited about his Cars underpants he accidentally punched my eye.  It watered for at least an hour, and still hurts.  I had lots of stuff I wanted to do today, and very little got done.  The phone never stopped ringing.  Things kept falling over.  My grandmother's dryer died, so she had to bring wet laundry over for me to dry.  A friend of mine had major crisis, and I had the headache that wouldn't quit.  Some days I feel like Supermom, today it was Supermom meets her Kryptonite.  I wanted to break something. 

At least the kids were great, and happy all day.  And since it was K day, I got lots of K day kisses.  That helped a lot.  Unfortunately with all the stuff that happened, their education time didn't happen.  We did play Candy Land together for the first time.  They know all their colors and they did so well following the directions, I was blown away.  They really loved it so I told them we can play again tomorrow.  Eliza got a little bored moving her piece, but I helped her with it, and she stayed engaged almost the whole game.  CJ understood how to move his piece, and really enjoyed playing, especially since he won the game.  Mommy kept getting the character cards that sent her backwards instead of forwards!  It was a long long day and I am exhausted!

We made the alphabet we have studied so far with their letter blocks, and watched Sesame Street, where there was a kangaroo!  We talked about kangaroos being marsupials and what that means.  We named other marsupials and reviewed what mammals are.  CJ is also quoting Dinosaur Train daily, so he explained to my grandmother, his great grandmother that a pteranadon is a pterosaur, which is a reptile that flew that lived during the Cretaceous time period, and they were carnivores.  He knows so much about dinosaurs it is scary.  He explained that troodons are omnivores like we are, except they aren't alive anymore.  Eliza said omnivore means they eat meat and plants.  Unbelievable the two of them..

So we were unable to spend any amount of time working together with writing, or play dough today.  But we spent a lot of time talking about K.  We tried to have kiwi, but the store was out of them yesterday, so we had Kellogg's Corn Pops with raisins and peanuts.  For lunch we had kitchen sink food, which was a little bit of a lot of stuff.  Kind of a bad joke on my part, all but the kitchen sink kind of thing.  Bad I know.  For dinner, we went to my parents' house and I brought kielbasa, creamed kale, and kohlrabi and carrot casserole.  All the veggies came from the garden.  This weekend we harvested all the kale and did a lot of canning, so it was a very productive and actually enjoyable weekend.  For those who don't know kohlrabi is an awesome easy to grow delicious cruciferous veggie, and the kids love it!  Raw or cooked it is excellent. 

It took us a long time today to get to our letter poster, because the morning got so crazy, but the kids did a super job on it.  They immediately started singing the letter sound song this morning when they woke up, and they were looking for K all day.  I just really wish I had been able to spend more time working with them today.  But tomorrow is another day.  Tomorrow we will spend time holding the new pencils we got, and drawing lines.  We will work with play dough.  We will use the flashcards I made, and we will talk more about animal types.  Eliza was watching Sid the Science Kid at Memere and Pepere's house today, and saw a whale.  She told Meme and Pepe that whales live in the ocean and breathe air.  When I asked her what type of animal a whale was she told me mammal.  I asked her what other animals are mammals and she said we are, cats are and so are alpacas.  My parents were astounded.  So was I, as usual. 

I will now go spend a little time cleaning my disastrous kitchen, and doing my own laundry.  Less diapers to wash and dry since both kids have been using the potty a lot.  CJ has had very few accidents wearing his big boy underpants, and I could not be more proud.  I guess he was ready.  I am ready for this day to be done, and for me to go to sleep.  I can't even think of some good K words to finish off this blog, so I know I must be quite tired.  Tomorrow is L day, lots of love and little joys!  Back to Supermom, the one who can stop tears, and heal boo boos, the one who can leap tall kiddos and cook three meals at once.  Kryptonite gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment