Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thank You Groundhog!

So Punxatawney Phil says Spring is around the corner, and I surely hope he is right, because darn it I need some sunshine.  It rained all day, and we spent another day stuck in the house.  We made a groundhog puppet that peeks out of his burrow.  We learned all about the groundhog aka woodchuck, and read some new Eric Carle books we picked up at Kohl's.  I really want to take the kids to the Eric Carle museum, but need to wait until no snowstorms are predicted, probably sometime in May.  CJ and Eliza adore all the Eric Carle books we have read together, and they have most of them memorized.  I think the museum would be a good experience for them.

So today we made a song to learn our phone number.  And all day they have been singing it.  We are also working on memorizing our entire address.  Tomorrow we will make up a song for Memere and Pepere's phone number.  We talked about why it is important to know our phone numbers and addresses, and we also found our street on a map.  We looked at a solar system map, world map, North America map, USA map, state map and town map.  We talked about directions and the compass rose.  Tomorrow is Chinese New Year so we will be making fortune cookies, and reading about the holiday.

It has been difficult to gauge progress, since our school schedule has been so erratic, but I really feel that our routine and lessons are benefiting all three kiddos.  Eliza and CJ use their bath toy alphabet to make words on the tub walls.  They are able to tell me all the sounds the letters make, and can count to 100.  They know even and odd numbers, vowels and consonants.  They speak like children twice their age.  Sometimes I forget they are only two and three, almost three and four.  Today I just spent some time watching them, and really looking at them.  I almost started to cry, because they are so smart, and sweet, and they are beautiful.  They were laying on the floor pointing out letters and numbers in a book, and holding hands.  They looked so grown up, and yet still so small.  They aren't babies anymore and it makes me a little sad.  I adore how precocious they are, and that I am able to have wonderful conversations with them, but I really miss being able to hold and rock them, and having them fall asleep on my shoulder.  They are becoming such independent little people, and while it amazes me and makes me proud and happy, I still want to do everything for them in a way.

Two days in a row, the kids have earned their gold medals, and Eliza has used the potty several times in the past two days.  She is so proud of herself, and of course we are even more proud.  I still need to figure out how to encourage her more.  We spent a lot of time today singing and dancing together, and they took a great nap.  While they slept I got the taxes finished and efiled.  It is things like this, that make me feel like the day was successful.  Makes me feel better knowing things like that are done.  Tomorrow is baking day, and mopping day.  Some days I wonder how I can get anything done, others it comes very easily.  Today, hard to get stuff done.  Last week I just kept accomplishing stuff, and it was no big deal.  This week it is tough just to keep up with the dishes.  Tomorrow will be better, I hope.  If the groundhog is right, at least we will have some sunshine soon.  Maybe that will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment