Thursday, September 11, 2014

Read Aloud Goals

I have always read aloud to the kids.  I love to read, they love to read, they love to listen, and they love good books.  This year though, I wanted to be more intentional about reading quality literature and to do some work with it, learning vocabulary, focusing on reading/listening comprehension, and to show deeper understanding of the books.  I keep telling myself that this is a lofty goal, and it is, but the kids are so great with books and understanding so I made it a goal this year to do this with four books.  Luckily I found Confessions of a Homeschooler.  

She has already done the work for several great books we already own.  I bought and printed out these cool things with questions to get us started and it gave me a great list to start with.  Next year I will feel more comfortable doing more of the work on my own, but I am thrilled with this.  So we are now onto chapter 7 of The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, a personal favorite.  In the first chapter it talks about how the Time Traveler figured out that there is the fourth dimension, time.  CJ stopped me and said, "Well Mommy, of course time is the fourth dimension, Albert Einstein taught us that."  Love my kids :)  I think Wind in the Willows next, then Little Women, then Sherlock Holmes.  Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment