Saturday, September 6, 2014

Group Classes

I love homeschooling.  I love connecting with other homeschool families.  I really love being a part of a community of people who love teaching their children.  We have been very fortunate  lately that we are a part of a great program run by some lovely people I am lucky enough to call friends.  Their website is here: McWeeds

I have been able to teach some fun classes to prek and kindergarten age kiddos, while CJ and Eliza have been taking some wonderful and enriching group classes.  I think it is important for them to learn from many people, and in many situations.  In some cases there are classes on things I just can't teach.  Today they had the first in a series of physical education/sports classes, and they LOVED it!  While they were doing that, I taught two classes to different age levels on cooking, we made homemade strawberry shortcake.

We spend the whole day there on Thursday.  In the morning the kids have a science based class, and I teach prek/kindergarten science.  Then we do some binder and literature work together, have lunch, and then they have geography while I teach cooking.  They are adding in drama and other art classes in the future.  There will even be times in the week where we can meet for book clubs, chess clubs, and craft clubs.

I am so excited to be a part of such a great  program, and I know the kids are learning a ton.  Not only are they learning the subject matter, but they are seeing how other children learn, and that other teachers may go about things differently than I do, and that is critical to a child like CJ, who has a tendency to be very set in his ways, and always wants things to be done the same way.  Both kids are responding so well, and enjoying every minute we spend there.  In addition I love sending them to a class where I really trust the teachers, and where I know the teachers and other children appreciate and value the unique traits of my children.  They respect my kids, and work with their strengths and weaknesses in a way I have never seen in other classes they have taken.

I am enjoying teaching, and I know the kids are thoroughly enjoying taking classes at McWeeds.  I can't wait to see what cool classes come up over the next few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment