Saturday, April 26, 2014

I love homeschooling for so many reasons.  I love going the pace the kids need.  I love focusing on things the kids are interested in.  I love being able to let the kids sleep in as they need to.  I love going places where the kids learn things they wouldn't normally be exposed to.  What I don't love?  The way so many people think they know better than I do about what is right for my children.  I don't love how hard it is to stay on task and get things done.  I don't love having my house look like a tornado went through because the kids were building cardboard box space ships.  But I love spending every day with my kids and that they have the freedom to build cardboard box space ships.  And I especially love how our school happens anywhere.  Since my last post we went to the CT Historical Society Museum taking a class there, we went to the Imagine Nation children's museum, the Beardsley Zoo, and the CT Science Center.  In the car we brought whiteboards and brainquest workbooks, and did math, history, study of Greek mythology, practiced writing our phone number and address, and did listening centers and comprehension practice, all while traveling to great educational experiences.  I love the freedom we have to do this.  We have spent time outside in the garden, planting, and observing seasonal changes.  We have practiced math problem solving, and watched Cosmos.  We studied medieval food.  We did imaginary play about space, and we acted out stories we love.  We made crafts, built legos, studied world history, studied maps, played chess, did playdough, art lessons, computer and kindle, measuring activities, and are in the process of building a barnyard diorama with Daddy.  We are working on snap circuits to study electricity, and we have done cooking and baking together.  We practiced sight words and worked on lacing and tracing.  We watched a 3D movie on the universe reinforcing our continued study of space, and we spend a lot of time playing games and discussing questions together.  We learn so much from each other every day, as we journey further together.
























No comments:

Post a Comment